ABC for 5 Net
Palin visits a Walmart Supercenter.
TV POOL REPORT:
OTR Stop — Wal-Mart in Gallipolis, Ohio
Gov. Sarah Palin made an OTR stop at the Wal-Mart Supercenter in Gallipolis, Ohio at 2 p.m. this afternoon, greeting local customers and browsing the store’s aisles with her daughter Bristol and infant son Trig in tow.
The press pool was originally staged on aisle 11 of the store, which included baby diapers, but Palin did not come down the aisle. We instead met her at the front bank of registers as she checked out.
She purchased a 40-pack of diapers, as well as a play mat with toy rings for Trig, who she carried on her shoulder the entire time in the store. Palin paid by credit, swiping the card and signing on the self-service credit card machine. The register attendant handed Palin her receipt, and Willow grabbed the bags.
As she left the checkout register, Palin was surrounded by about 30-40 shoppers, many of whom snapped photos on cell phone cameras as Palin glad-handed. We couldn’t make out all of the conversations, mostly just “Hi, I’m Sarah” and “Thank you” from Palin. At one point she also said, “It’s a beautiful day for a drive.”
As Palin left the store, hundreds of residents had massed outside the store’s exit, kept back by a makeshift police-tape rope-line. As Palin walked down the line shaking hands and saying hellos, the group started chanting “Sarah, Sarah.”
Before she boarded the bus, Palin greeted a young wheel-chair bound girl and her mother who were near the bus door. While still holding Trgi, Palin knelt down to greet the girl, and then stood up to hug the mother, before boarding the bus.
Tape was picked up by a courier, and will be fed from Columbus, OH by 5 p.m. We are now on the road, heading next to Marietta, Ohio.
PRINT POOL REPORT:
2 p.m. stop at Wal-Mart in Gallipolis, Ohio:
– pool taken to baby aisle and staged between diapers and Tostitos, about ¾ of the way down the aisle, but then moved to front of store instead to see Palin check out.
– Palin buys a 40-pack of diapers, a set of baby rings (the linking kind, maybe) and a play mat with arching bars … Cecil is getting the details on the purchases (exact items and brands
– Palin paid with a credit card … swiped the card, then signed … while juggling Trig in her left arm … don’t know amount of purchase … cashier handed folded her card and the receipt together and handed them back to Palin
– Bristol Palin took the play mat set, Palin took the bag, still holding Trig, started shaign hands with crowd gathered at the front of the store (about 20 to 30)
– Talks to one woman: “Hi, I’m Sarah. Nice to meet you.” Couldn’t hear woman’s response. “Thank you, I appreciate that.”
– Poses for photos with several people, including a woman holding a toddler in her arms. Palin reaches out and plays with the toddler’s very curly hair. “It’s a beautiful day for a drive. Thank you very much.”
– In front of store a few minutes later, a larger crowd is waiting roped off at front of bus by yellow police caution tape. Palin is still holding Trig and carrying Wal-Mart bag with diapers and baby rings in her left hand. Shakes hands and works line toward bus door.
– Right at the bus door is a severely disabled girl in a wheelchair, preteen (maybe 8 or 10) with one shoe kicked off, and her mother. Palin drops down to say hello to the girl face-to-face, touches her on the shoulder. Palin then stands up and hugs the girl’s mother, who appears to choke up a bit.